Sunday, August 25, 2019

How to Apply and Get a Japan Tourist Visa without Income Tax Return (ITR) 2019

It's the time of the year that I have to visit another country! Yey! This time, I will experience summer in Japan with my beshies. Since the Japan embassy does not accept direct applications anymore except for certain cases, I had to go through the usual application process and avail the service of a travel agency. Few weeks before I got my visa, my friends and I have already decided where to apply - Reli Tours in SM North EDSA. I didn't know what happened to me on the day that I submitted my application, I forgot to research where it was exactly located. I had some mishaps and thought it was on the first floor of SM The Block. I went there with my mother past 6:00pm already to find out that no Reli Tours can be found on the area. Luckily, there were other travel agencies who accept Japan visa applications. I chose Travel Pros and even though it was not planned, I did not regret choosing them.



A. BASIC INFORMATION

- Single entry tourist visa
- No guarantor
- No ITR
- Single status (i.e., not married)
- Filipino citizen and resident


B. REQUIREMENTS SUBMITTED

(click here for embassy provided guide)


1. Valid passport*
From Embassy:
Broken passport is not accepted. Passports must be signed and must have at least two (2) blank visa pages.
 
I just renewed my passport this year which does not contain any stamps or visas. All my previous travel proofs are in my old passport which unfortunately, I forgot to bring on the day I submitted my application. I submitted my application on a Saturday, called the travel agency on Wednesday of the following week to ask if I can provide my old passport as a supporting document but the person on the line told me to not bother as it is not really a major requirement. Besides, the liaison officer is on its way to the embassy already. He informed me that the embassy will surely contact them if my old passport is needed.

2. Accomplished VISA application form*
From Embassy:
Available at the Embassy website, at the entrance of the Embassy or at any of the accredited travel agencies. Application form should be filled out all items correctly. If item is not applicable, please fill in [N/A]. Embassy may not accept application with blank item, no signature or no date in the form; may deny the application that is filled out incorrectly or wrong information.
 
Blank application form can be downloaded here.
 
3. Photo ID*
From Embassy:
Specs: 4.5cm x 4.5cm, with white background.
Photo must be taken within 6 months.
Please write applicant’s name and birthdate on back side of the photo.
Photo must be pasted on the application form.

I just had my picture taken on a studio. Usually, studio staff knows the specs and they usually has a Japan Visa photo package so this requirement can be acquired easily. Particularly, at Tronix, green top is not advisable as it interferes with an element I forgot. No worries though because they will let you borrow a black vest if necessary. I didn't get a chance to write my name and birthdate on the back of my photo. I just gave it to the assigned staff at the travel agency and she immediately pasted it on the application form.

4. Birth certificate*
From Embassy:
It must be issued within one year from PSA Main Office/Serbilis Outlet Center (Nationwide).
If the birth certificate from Philippine Statistics Office (PSA) is unreadable, or has incomplete information, please submit the birth certificate issued by PSA together with a birth certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar.
If the birth certificate is “late registration”, please submit in addition, a baptismal certificate and school record (Form 137) from high school or elementary and School Yearbook (if possible).
If there is no record in PSA, please submit a “Certificate of Non-Record” from PSA together with a birth certificate from the Local Civil Registrar.

Make sure to submit a birth certificate issued within one year from the date of application. The date of issue can be found at the bottom code of the birth certificate. You may get your birth certificate by applying online. I personally used this site to apply for mine. The staff at the travel agency asked me to provide a copy of my birth certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar. She instructed me to have it photocopied on an A4 sized bond paper. It's a good thing that there was a photocopy service providing stall around the area.

5. Daily Schedule in Japan (TAIZAI YOTEIHYO/Itinerary)*
Note that you do not have to follow the itinerary strictly during the trip proper. I guess the embassy just would like to assess if your financial capability is enough to cover the expenses you will be incurring in Japan.

Sample itinerary c/o my friend
My friend told us to change the highlighted date (not clear if this is really required; I put here the same date that I signed the application form) and the name of the applicant. The yellow highlight and the box of course should be removed to keep the document neat.

6. Bank Certificate*
From Embassy:
Validity of Bank Certificate is three (3) month from the date of issue.

I provided my Landbank bank certificate. I only had around Php 69,000.00 in my account which I believe is enough for a 5-day stay in Japan.

7. Cover Letter
This is where I took the opportunity to explain why I wasn't able to provide an ITR, i,e, considerably new to work. In the letter, I expressed my desire to see the beauty of Japan in a way that the embassy can be sure that I will not commit violations and my only purpose is vacation/tourism. There are quite a few sample letters on the internet and I personally based my own letter on those templates. I'm not suggesting you to copy those word for word though. It is always best to provide a letter that reflects you as a person.

8. Certificate of Employment (COE)
 COE is not required by the embassy but I had to submit it in lieu of an Income Tax Return (ITR) to prove that I can support myself and pay for my travel expenses. This is also to not give them an idea of me visiting Japan to look for a job.

9. Round Trip Flight Ticket
This is also not required. I just submitted it to prove that I have no intentions of overstaying. The staff at the travel agency accepted only the first page of the ticket with the dates of departure and return (ticket price and other information not included). My friends and I already have booked round trip flight tickets via Cebu Pacific. One of our friends patiently waited for a promo last December 2018 and he managed to find affordable flights for us.

*required

 

C. TRAVEL AGENCY AND FEE

Travel Pros
- not accredited by Japan embassy
- will accept applications and refer it to accredited travel agency/ies
- no lines
- process Japan tourist visa applications for Php 950.00

It might give you a peace of mind to have your visa application processed by an accredited travel agency. Also, in my case, my friends who chose Reli Tours got their approved visas earlier than mine even if I submitted my application a day earlier. Keep in mind that the travel agency will not really matter nor has a bearing on the decision of the Japan embassy examiner as they only act as a third party channel. One of my friends who applied at Reli Tours was unfortunately denied a visa and is planning to reapply at Friendship Travel and Tours.

D. PROCESSING TIME

Usually 5-7 days but the results and passports may be released earlier or longer. In my case, I got a text message from the travel agency that my passport with Japan visa is ready for pickup at their office 10 days after I applied.

E. VISA VALIDITY

I got a single entry visa for 15 days which is valid for 90 days from the date of issuance.

No comments:

Post a Comment